Managers need finance to find funding sources for their firms, to identify and manage risk, and to decide whether to make capital expenditures or produce new products. Areas of study in the field of finance include financial management, banking, planning, investments, insurance, money flow, real estate and financial services.
Careers in Finance
For an overview of careers in finance, including average yearly salaries and sample occupations, please review the Careers in Finance handout. For additional questions and career guidance, please consult Anderson Career Services.
Finance Concentration Checklist
Download the checklist for BBA students and use this worksheet as a guide to satisfy your graduation requirements. Check off the courses as you complete them to keep track of your progress.
Questions regarding concentration requirements should be addressed with your BBA advisor or with the Finance Faculty Concentration Advisor.
Finance checklist for BBA students:
Older checklists for students admitted prior to the semester listed can request a checklist from their Academic Advisor.
Finance Area Policy For Granting Transfer Credit
(Effective July 1, 2003)
MGMT 326. Conditional Waiver Letter grade of "C-" or better in a basic finance management course within the last 5 years from a college of business with either AACSB accreditation or an existing exchange agreement with the Anderson School of Management. The conditional waiver permits the student to substitute any other Anderson 400 level finance course for MGMT 326.
400 Level Finance Courses Letter grade of "C-" or better in an equivalent course from a finance department or area in an AACSB-accredited college of business or management within the last 5 years. The student may transfer 6 hours of approved upper-division credit toward an Anderson finance concentration with pre-approval by the Finance faculty advisor. Transfer of an upper-division finance course satisfies the conditional aspect of the MGMT 326 waiver.
Upper Division Humanities
One 3-hour course, 300-level or above from: American Studies, Classics, Comparative Literature, English, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies.
Advisement Center Concentration Advisor
- Andrea Pierson
- Sr Academic Advisor
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (505) 277-3290
- Office: MCM Advisement
- WWW: http://www.mgt.unm.edu/advisement/
- About Andrea: Andrea Pierson is originally from Ohio where she earned her Bachelor of Science in Recreational Therapy at the University of Toledo. Prior to coming to UNM, she was at Mississippi State University where she earned a Master of Science in Sport Administration. She has since been with UNM for 3 years. Prior to joining the Anderson School of Management, she worked as an athletic academic advisor with UNM Athletics. In her free time, Andrea enjoys spending time with her friends and her dog, Harley.
Finance Faculty Concentration Advisor
- Hsuan-Chi Chen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (505) 277-4702
- Office: MCM 3084
- Download Vita...
- More Information & Office Hours »
- Bio: Dr. Chen received his Ph.D. in Finance from the University of Florida in 1999 and joined the faculty at UNM in 2007. Professor Chen has published in a number of Finance and management journals, such as Journal of Finance, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Financial Management, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, among other publications.
Professor Chen is in the editorial board of Asia Pacific Management Review and Journal of Financial Studies. Professor Chen is also an "Ad Hoc Referee" for a number of journals such as Applied Economics, China Economic Review European, Journal of Finance, among other finance journals.
He teaches a number of finance courses, including International Financial Management, Equity and Capital Markets, Derivatives, and Seminar in Futures and Options.
Department Contact Information
The Finance Concentration falls within the Finance, International and Innovation (FII) Department. For more information about this department, including contact information for the department chair, please visit the FITE Department Website.