The basic purpose of accounting is to provide relevant information to management, investors, creditors, government and the general public. Accounting is an indispensable skill to running a business. Accountants participate in planning, analyzing and steering the activities of forms and individuals; providing tax advice and preparation services; and preparing statistics for private and government surveys.
Careers in Accounting
For an overview of careers in accounting, including average yearly salaries and sample occupations, please review the Careers in Accounting handout. For additional questions and career guidance, please consult Anderson Career Services.
Accounting Concentration Checklists
Download the checklist for BBA students that is appropriate for you based on your start semester. Please use this worksheet as a guide to satisfy your graduation requirements. Check off the courses as you complete them to keep track of your progress.
- Checklist (For Students Admitted Fall 2016 or After)
- Checklist (For Students Admitted Fall 2011 or After)
- Checklist (For Students Admitted Spring 2005 or After)
Questions regarding concentration requirements should be addressed with your BBA advisor or with the Accounting Faculty Concentration Advisor.
Accounting Faculty Concentration Advisor
- Matt Pickard
- Assistant Professor
- Phone: (505) 277-3631
- Office: GSM 305
- Download Vita...
- More Information & Office Hours »
- Bio: Matthew D. Pickard is an Assistant Professor of Accounting at the University of New Mexico. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Arizona in Management Information Systems. He holds an M.B.A. in Management Information Systems and a B.S. in Computer Engineering from Brigham Young University. His research leverages embodied conversational agents (i.e., virtual humans) to maximize voluntary self-disclosure and change attitudes and behaviors. He seeks to apply his research to contexts such as auditing and fraud investigations.
In his personal life, Matt is first and foremost a family man. In his spare time, he enjoys camping, woodworking, and beekeeping.
Department Contact Information
The Accounting Concentration falls within the Accounting Department. For more information about this department, including contact information for the department chair, please visit the Accounting Department Website.